I spent half the night working on a monster patch for Typo that totally reworks the way Typo’s sidebar works. Before, all of the items that you see on the right side of this blog were statically coded into the
app/views/layout/article.rhtml file. To change the URL for your Flickr images, you had to edit the source by hand. Adding new items involved editing three or four files.
That’s all gone now.
I moved all of the sidebar items into a new
component/sidebars/plugins directory, and added a sidebar controller that drives them. It automatically loads all of the sidebars in the plugin directory, so you can install new sidebars by simply dropping the files into place. No more editing source files and then fighting to keep the changes merged. I moved all of the configuration data for each plugin into Typo’s configuration database, so you can edit everything via the admin interface.
I posted my patch to Typo’s bug-tracking database, but it’s really young code, mostly written in the middle of the night, so I wouldn’t recommend using it quite yet. Once I’ve had a chance to clean it up a bit I’ll give it a bit of testing here and then submit a newer patch to trac and hopefully it’ll get merged.