I think the neighborhood fireworks fest went just a wee bit too far last night. We spent most of the day with friends, and didn’t get home until almost 11:00. After we put the kids to bed, we went downstairs, opened up the french doors to the patio so we could see the fireworks, and tried to finish another level of Katamari Damacy.
In retrospect, we probably should have left the doors closed–a couple minutes after we sat down, a ball of flaming fireworks (roman candle, maybe?) flew in the door, hit my wife in the leg, and then skidded around, melting a half-dozen holes in the carpet.
Amazingly enough, my wife was uninjured. We doused the carpet, just to make sure that the carpet pad wasn’t smoldering underneath the charred rug, and called it a night.